TVS Thanksgiving 2006
Feast and Raffle with Prizes at Cafe Parizäde
November 23, 2006 - 12:30-4:00 pm
The Triangle Vegetarian Society (TVS) will have its annual Thanksgiving feast and raffle at one of Dilip's favorite
Triangle restaurants, Cafe Parizäde in Durham. Parizäde is one of the Triangle's finest restaurants with a gourmet flair for fresh ingredients with Mediterranean influences, and this will be TVS' 8th consecutive Thanksgiving there (and 13th annual Thanksgiving Feast at an area restaurant). We believe that for the third year in a row, we will host the country's largest vegetarian Thanksgiving. You can view or print a flyer and press release about the event - please help to spread the word. You can also take a look at a map showing where attendees are coming from.
The all-inclusive cost will be $20.00 for adult TVS members, $24.50 for adult non-members, $9.00 for those aged 5-10, and free for children under age 5.
You may wish to read the following Frequently Asked Questions before making a reservation:
Reservations have closed. We do still have a few slots open at 2:00 and 2:30, so you are welcome to come to the restaurant at either of those times and pay at the door if we still have openings ($25 for adults/$10 for children -- cash or check only).
The menu is subject to change, but we are planning the following dishes:
Fall Antipasto Buffet Table
- Lightly steamed corn-off-the-cob w/smoked poblanos & cumin, lime juice & salt
- Quinoa salad with olives, shallots, pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, and garlic
- Stewed apples and kale with caraway
- Fall lettuces with truffle mustard dressing and capers
- A raw vegetable plate
- Breads, crustinis & pita with Egyptian red lentil and artichoke-spinach hummuses, baba ganouj, and Brussels sprout "pâté"
- Marinated olives, spiced pecans, and roasted chestnuts
- Hearty exotic mushroom filo pie with fennel, eggplant, and garlic confit
- Curried, crispy polenta
- Lime-marinated seared seitan with peppercorns and fig glaze
- Roasted garlic olive oil mashed potatoes with chives, mushroom gravy, apple-pecan stuffing, and fresh raspberry-cranberry relish
- Wild mushroom and French green lentil risotto with seared tempeh
- Crumbled, smoked marinated tempeh served in fall squashes
- Organic Conchiglie pasta with vegan Bolognese sauce (Merlot wine, sauteed peppers and onions, olive chunks, sliced garlic, and oregano)
- Carpaccio vegetale – very thinly sliced vegetables as a raw "pasta" (raw dish)
- Mixed mushroom-Napa Valley Cabbage with Greek olive oil, lemon, and garlic (raw dish)
- Steamed Heirloom fall vegetables
- Sweet potato-leek velouté (thickened soup)
- Fresh seasonal fruits
- Phyllo cookies
- Pumpkin pie with pomegranate glaze
- Cherry Crisp
- Cranberry juice
- Herbal tea
- Shade-grown coffee
All food will be strictly vegan with no animal, egg or dairy products. No honey or white sugar will be
As in previous years, we will be having a generous raffle with prizes ranging from gift certificates from area businesses to cases of whole food products, fine chocolates, non-animal gardening fertilizers, and much more.
Cafe Parizäde is at 2200 W. Main Street in Durham (see a map of the location). Take the Durham Expressway (NC 147) either north from I-40, or south from I-85/15-501, and exit at Swift Avenue. At the end of the exit ramp, turn right if coming from I-40, or left if coming from I-85/15-501. At the light just ahead, turn left onto Main Street. Go through one light at Ninth Street and in 100 yards or so, turn right into the Erwin Square complex.
Photographs from Thanksgiving 2005 courtesy of Keith
Dixon of Picture Perfect
Photography and Videography Services from South Carolina, and used
with his permission. (More pictures available online.)
Back to TVS home page